What causes red spot along with widening of pores on nose?

Dr. Matt Wachsman

Addiction Medicine Specialist

Posted on Tue, 20 Oct 2015 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Question: I periodically smoke and usually have 3 glasses of white wine a night but with ice cubes in them. Lately I have noticed the pours on my nose widening and a occasional red spot. No vein problem.
I have spent a lot of time in the sun in my 67 years.

Is this a skin problem or what is known as drinkers nose or is it caused by smoking or a combination of both.

is there any king of cream or special oil I can apply to take this away as well as quitting wine and occasional smoking?
Answered by Dr. Matt Wachsman 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Drinkers nose

Detailed Answer:
while it is hard to diagnose a dermatologic condition without seeing it directly
it certainly sounds like RHINOPHYMA
this common condition is prob re waive and treatable by surgery
Follow up: Dr. Matt Wachsman 38 minutes later
It is not bright red and as I said nor has red vines(s). It just pours have expanded and in a magnifying mirror it is obvious. ? 1) is their no oil to apply that will help.
2) I will look up the meaning of the condition and of course stop the occasional smoking, and as I said I spent a lot of time in sun. 3) what type of doctor would I see to get a proper diagnosis and to get rid of or to stop it is there surgery involved or is it cured or help to be less noticeable by some form of medicinal cream or oil and or certain food? Thanks
Brief Answer:
Definitely a dermatologist

Detailed Answer:
and it is an overgrowth of the oil containing skin.
http://www.healthline.com/health/rhinophyma#RiskFactors3
this occurs most on the oiliest skin (around the nose).
It is also called rosacea.
While one could use steroid cremes, they are not thought to be effective.
A dermatologist can give a second opinion.