What causes red sores on vulva?

General Surgeon
Question
I have got sores on the vulva (outer lip only)..they are not painful but appear red and nasty looking..I had applied Candid B but of no help..They sometimes have a sticky liquid discharge which is clear..
Posted Sun, 10 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Unlikely to be fungal

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to Healthcare-Magic
Greetings of the day
Dear Ms XXXXXXX

As it has not helped with application of Candid B it's unlikely to be fungal infection.
It would be very helpful if you could provide me with clinical photograph of the lesion and also the following additional information

1. Any history of unprotected sexual contact?
2. Any itching associated with the lesion?

Awaiting your response

Best regards
Dr Deepak XXXXXXX
MBBS, MS, MCh

Follow-up: What causes red sores on vulva? 25 minutes later
I have a boyfriend with whom I have been in a sexual relation for the last 3 years.. We mostly have protected sex.. I may have undergone only 1-2 unprotected events in the last 2-3 months. Yes there is itching but not always, just sometimes. Also lately I had to undergo long working hours without being able to change my underwear/pads during periods in a humid climate. I am trying to upload a picture.

Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Likely to be folliculitis

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Greetings

From the clinical picture provided it appears as folliculitis.
The image is not clear it would be helpful if you could upload high resolution picture of the lesion.

Awaiting your response

Best regards
Dr Deepak

Follow-up: What causes red sores on vulva? 40 minutes later
I have uploaded a better image.

Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Likely to be labial abscess

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Dear Ms XXXXXXX

Thanks for providing the clinical photograph. The lesion is a well circumcised present in right Labia majora. It is likely to be either a Labial abscess or Sebaceous cyst which is likely to be infected.

I would suggest you the following
1. Thoroughly shave the area
2. Local application of Mupirocin ointment thrice a day
3. Oral Antibiotic: Tablet Augmentin Duo 1 gm twice a day for 5 days
4. Hot Seitz bath : To a tub of lukewarm water add handful of common table salt. Sit in it for 15 to 20 minutes each session twice a day. It will reduce the inflammation
5. Anti-inflammatory : Ibuprofen will be helpful.

If the lesion persist it will require Surgical consultation and clinical assessment for Incision and drainage of the abscess.

Do keep me updated about progress.

Wishing you great health.

Do send me clinical photograph after shaving for further assessment.

Best regards
Dr Deepak