What causes red scratches inside stomach?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 20 Oct 2015 in Abdominal Pain
Question: My daughter had a colonoscopy and endoscopy with biopsy not back yet. They saw red scractehes on the inside og her stomach and prescribed a prescription form anacid. What can the scratches be from?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
This scratches are due to gastritis.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Red scratches are usually a sign of gastritis. In other words, mucosa of the stomach is inflamed in this area. Such inflammation can appear due to increased stomach acid production caused by stress, bad diet (fatty foods, soft drinks), coffee intake or even Helicobacter Pylori infection. In some cases the reason of such problem can not be established.
Antiacids are the good treatment of such stomach changes and should help. There should be gastroscopy done once again after a month especially if the symptoms will be still present.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.