What causes red ring with black circle rash on groin area?

Dr. Chobufo Ditah

Posted on Tue, 16 Sep 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have had a quarter sized circle in the groin area where my pant waistline is just above my penis. It used to be scaley and black until a doctor froze it once while treating genital warts. Now it is a red ring with a black circle on the outside. I have been treating it for ringworm using lamisil cream and now tablets. It seems to get slightly better but then worse again. What else could it be?
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Typical of a fungal infection!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this rash that you have reported. The features are so typical of a fungal infection. What I am still not able to reconcile is the fact that this rash has failed to respond to routine medications that are generally effective at treating this condition. This may be due to constant reinfection or maybe we are simply not treating for the right condition.

I will suggest that you consider disinfecting your dresses and under wears to make sure this is not a source of continued reinfection. also, adapt the dressing in such a way that this area would be allowed exposed and airy to facilitate healing.

Because this rash is taking long to get resolved, the possibility of an allergy to your belt or pant cannot be completely ruled out. If this is where the buckle sits, then figure out and make sure this is not a new belt that you have not used before. Please, ,can you upload an image of this rash for me to see as well? Thanks!

In all, typical of fungal infection. Resistance to treatment raises further concern. Disinfect dresses and help keep the area airy for treatment evaluation. The possibility of an allergy should not be completely ignored as well.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Thank you so much for using our services and do feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.
Follow up: Dr. Chobufo Ditah 18 hours later
I do wear a belt but there is always a layer of clothing between me and my belts. Is there a chance it could be Bowen's disease and there seems to be some similarities between Bowen's and ringworm. I have had this for over 5 years.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please, get this rash examined.

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for this follow up information.

This is not a recent rash. I will not want to treat unless I have a confirmation of what exactly this is. I will like to see a picture of this rash for inspection and more insights.

It is less likely to be Bowen's disease. Bowens' disease is a form of cancer of the skin and for 5years, we should have noted progression. I will like you to see a dermatologist as well because this seems not too straight forward given how long it has been.

It is unlikely to be related to allergy from your belt. Not over 5years.

I hope to hear from you. I wish you well.