• question-icon

What causes red ring around belly button?

Posted on Tue, 31 May 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi my name is XXXXXXX I have noticed a red ring around my navel. What could this be?
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Ringworm infection/yeast/fungal infection; anti-fungal cream advised

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help. A red ring around the belly button/navel is most probably due to a fungal infection called ringworm. Contrary to common belief, it is not due to a worm/parasite but is a fungal infection caused because of the region being left moist for a long duration of time, or way too often.

Using a topical anti-fungal cream (e.g. clotrimazole) over the region twice daily for at least 2 weeks, should suffice to help treat it. Also make sure you keep the region dry and clean at all times, shower daily and dry off well enough, and also use a q-tip to clean the inside of the navel.

I hope you find my response both helpful and informative. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I am always here to help.

Best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Shoaib Khan