What causes red rashes on the neck, chest, shoulders and abdomen?

Dr. Kathy Robinson

Posted on Thu, 8 Sep 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I woke up this morning with a reddish pink skin rash on my neck, chest, top of shoulders, and stomach. It's not raised and it doesn't bother me. I have no problems with breathing with it. I took 10mg of an antihistamine at 12:30, but no change. I've just finished taking Bactrim for a UTI. No problems while taking it this past week. I can't reach my primary care physician, so I was wondering if there's anything else I should do?
Sincerely,
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
could be the bactrim

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for your question
There is not much else that you can do. The antihistamine will help if there is itching but it will not really make the rash go away more quickly
It certainly could be from the Bactrim, but it could also be from some sort of viral infection. Viruses often cause a fine rash, in some cases this happens even before you get sick from the virus.
If you were to develop a high fever or shortness of breath then you should be seen right away.
Otherwise just watch it. You do need to let your doctor know since it could be a drug rash. He or she may want to look at it and see what they think.
If it is itchy, keep the skin cool, avoid friction and use lotion if it is dry. These will help the itching to be minimized.
Dr. Robinson