What causes red rashes on stomach?

Dr. Kalpana Pathak

Dermatologist

Posted on Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: hi this is XXXXXXX i am 28 and working I have got rashes red patches on my upper part of my tummy .what cream should I apply on it. it iches some time not always .currently I am appling safromice
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
it could be ringworm

Detailed Answer:
From the description, it could be a fungal infection/ ring worm or eczema.
I need a pic of the lesion to confirm the diagnosis. Please upload the same by clicking on upload report/ image icon which is on right side of query page.
Tinea needs antifungal while eczema needs a steroid cream. Soframycin won't help in either of these.
Hoping to hear from you soon.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Kalpana Pathak 1 hour later
hi picture attached for ur reference
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
details below

Detailed Answer:
I have seen the pictures attached.
The lesions are of tinea corporis or ringworm.
In such cases I usually prescribe
An oral antifungal like Fluconazole 150 mg 2 tablets/week or oral Terbinafine 250 mg one tablet daily.
An oral antiallergic like levocetirizine 10 mg once in a day in evening
Antifungal soap for bathing like Clotrimazole soap( candid soap)
Topical antifungal cream like Eberconazole or Terbinafine cream twice daily.
Antifungal powder to dust the area.
Also keep the area dry and ventilated. Wear loose cotton clothes. Avoid tight fitting or denim clothes.

As these are prescription drugs, please meet a doctor prior to starting this.
I usually continue the treatment from 2 weeks to six weeks depending upon the response.
Hope this helped.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju
Follow up: Dr. Kalpana Pathak 46 hours later
can I apply clotrinor bg on the effected area
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back.
Clotrinor BG is a combination cream with clotrimazole(antigungal),betamethasone (steroid) and gentamicin (antibiotic). Instead of using this cream I would suggest that you use the creams that I advised in my previous post as response with clotrinor BG might be suboptimal.Also steroid and antibiotic application is not required in your case.
Hope this helped

Follow up: Dr. Kalpana Pathak 47 minutes later
thanks for the advice.. also wanted to know I have got dark red patch caz of the infection will that go with the same medicine or some other medicine I have to apply .
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 47 hours later
Brief Answer:
details below

Detailed Answer:
If the old lesions are itchy and red, same medicines would help.
If previous lesions have healed with red or brown marks and are not itchy or inflammed then one may apply hydroquinone 2 percent cream to reduce pigmentation. Most of the times a healed lesion lightens spontaneously with time.
Hope this helped