• question-icon

What causes red rashes on legs and stomach post intake of Nurofen?

Posted on Thu, 26 May 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I took nurofen yesterday.
Today i am covered in a red rash all over my legs stomach and back of my head.
I cant keep warm so am just lying in bed..
Any help?
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Anti-histamines required at the earliest

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir/ma'am and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help. The rash after consuming nurofen (active ingredient ibuprofen) is a severe side effect of ibuprofen, requiring anti-histamine medications. You can use any of the following over-the-counter (OTC) medications like cetrizine, loratadine, or fexofenadine (1 tablet, 3 times daily).

But if you feel that your rash is not getting better in a day or two, then report to a doctor for a steroid shot and a shot of an antihistamine (e.g. pheniramine). You can choose to take a XXXXXXX warm water shower, to help soothe your skin.

I hope you find my response helpful. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I am always here to help.

Best wishes.
Dr. Shoaib Khan