What causes red rashes on chest, arms and legs?

Posted on Mon, 15 Jun 2015 in Skin Rash
Question: I woke up yesterday with a red-spotted rash across my chest, arms and legs. I had been fairly achey all week and had had some chills indicative of a slight fever, but otherwise felt fine. This morning I woke up and the rash progressed to the point that most of my body is red with a few white spots left. The redness goes away when pressed. I do not have much of an appetite. My urine is very dark and I am pretty thirsty.

Initially I thought it was an allergic reaction so had taken a Benadryl, but it didn't make the rash get better. I have taken advil which got rid of the chills, but still same rash.

The only other time my body has had a similar reaction is when I was taking the antibiotic sulfamethoxazole and I found out I was allergic to sulfa. I have not been on any medications or contacted sulfa to my knowledge.
Answered by Dr. Goswami Debopom 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
It could be due to viral fever or Henoch Sconlein purpura or porphyria.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thank you for posting your question. I can understand your concern.

I have gone through the entire post. I can understand that you have a history of allergy to sulphur drugs.
It would have been great had you posted a picture of the rash itself.

Rash all over the body with dark coloured urine could be due to
- a sequeale to a viral fever
- Henoch Schonlein purpura(inflammation of blood vessels)
- SCarlet fever(strep throat infection)
- Porphyria
- Urinary tract infection

Let me ask you a few questions
1. Is there any pain in the abdomen?
2. DO you have any joint pain?
3. Did you have any throat infection in the recent past?

I would suggest you to
- not to worry
- Get a blood Hemoglobin , ESR , CRP (to detect inflammation in the body) , Total count (for infection) , serum bilirubin , serum iron, Total iron binding capacity , ferritin ( Porphyria workup) , platelet count , ANA , Rheumatoid factor done
- Get a urine routine examination and culture and a test for urinary porphyrin done .

I would also suggest you to visit a clinician . He/she can examine you and correlate clinically.

Hope this helps.
Post any other question.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Answered by
Dr. Goswami Debopom

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2013

Answered : 484 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,  
Drug/Medication ,  

Recent questions on  Sulfamethoxazole

doctor1 MD

I just took a Sulfamethoxazole/MP DS Tablet and within 15-20 minutes I started having what normally feels like gas pains, except they are all...

doctor1 MD

I ve been taking Tri-Sprintec for over four years and just recently was prescribed sulfamethoxazole for a possible uti. I had unprotected sex and...

doctor1 MD

Hello. I have been treated for chronic prostatitis with sulfamethoxazole. Although the symptoms seem to be diminishing and I feel much better,...

doctor1 MD

Can I use clarithromycin for a uti

doctor1 MD

My son has abdominal swelling....almost looks like a pregnant woman and has just turned one year old. I'm scaring myself reading all the things it...

doctor1 MD

I was seen approximately 10 days ago for difficulty in Urinating. I am a male 53 years old. The Doctor put me on Flomax and Sulfamethoxazole...

doctor1 MD

Will Ceftin or amox-clav treat a uti?

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

178 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction