• question-icon

What causes red rashes on both the hands behind the palm?

Posted on Mon, 30 May 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Skin rashes on both hands at the back of palm. After few days it dries up. Red inflammation at the edges. Photos attached.
Answered by Dr. Ilyas Patel 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Allergic contact dermatitis most probably

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to HCM....

I read short history and saw photos you posted. I deeply think that most probably you may be having allergic contact dermatitis. There may be some allergen which may be trigger of your disease. It may be soap,detergent,cosmetic, housedust, housedust mite,grass,pollen,clothe,plastic,leather,nickel or some other...

Kindly you consult the dermatologist personally. Investigations including allergy tests may be done.

I would suggest...

- antihistaminics like levocetirizine 10mg daily at night to relieve itch
- oral steroid in tappering dose
- short course of antibiotic
- mild steroid with antibiotic cream to apply on the lesions
- avoid soap bath, Dettol liq may be used to take bath
- avoid contact with suspected allergens

You may recover in few weeks. You may stop treatment after controll of the disease. But avoid long term contact with suspected allergens. Your disease is allergic in nature,so it very likely to have relapse. When there is relapse, kindly repeat the treatment.

I hope this would help you.

Thanks.

Dr.Ilyas Patel MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar
Follow up: Dr. Ilyas Patel 4 hours later
Thank you Doctor XXXXXXX Can I get names of medicines which you lists and dosage. Also let me know what allergy tests need to be done. I get skin problems once a year and some times twice. Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Ilyas Patel 3 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

Welcome back...

I can understand your concern for relapses of allergic contact dermatitis. For finding the allergens you have to think about the contact every time while you develop allergy. However, partially you may get clue after having allergy testing. For that, you consult the dermatologist and have guidance regarding the allergy.

For treatment part, I would like to tell you that it is very difficult to prescribe the drugs and dosages from remote areas without seeing the condition of the disease personally. I can give some tips regarding the management of your disease, as in previous post. I strongly recommend you to consult the dermatologist with regular follow ups fo immediate cure and to prevent the relapses.

Wishing you happy and healthy life...

Thanks.

Dr.Ilyas Patel MD

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Ilyas Patel

Dermatologist