What causes red rashes all over body after having Pecef?

Dr. Suresh Heijebu

Posted on Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in Child Health
Question: My son (M, 2.5 yrs 15 Kgs) was running 101.8 fever & vomiting. Local Doc said its due to bacterial infection. He gave Zanocin 100 , Pecef 100 . After taking the medicines there were red rashes all over . Which medicine could have caused that? Later when we met the doc again after 1 day . He said its Infected Scabies & gave Ascabiol , Tetmosol,Neosprin etc, We are confused what it is due to? The full course of antibiotics has been advised to be completed. What is you opinion on that? Is there any risk for the child?
Answered by Dr. Suresh Heijebu 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
STOP PECEF

Detailed Answer:
Hi Sir,

I have carefully gone through your query and understand your concern.in my opinion.

Your son seemed to have drug induced allergic response to PECEF 100 ,which is a common culprit in causing drug associated rashes.
.
Ofcourse a simultaneous infected scabies can also present similarly.

I advice you to stop PECEF,and continue with Zanocin and antiscabicidal drugs as prescribed.

I also recommend tab Deslor or Levocetrizine to control the drug and infection associated rash.

This treatment is not associated with any future risk to your child.

Your kid is expected to show signs of recovery in 3-4 days in all possibilities,
In case if he does not consult your treating doctor.

I hope this info is helpful to you.
Post your further queries on http://bit.ly/drsureshheijebu
Thank you

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Suresh Heijebu 22 hours later
Thanks Sir for your advice.
Just to mention our doc did advised to take Atarax 4ml 3 times daily.

Pecef 100 (per advise 4 ml twice daily 8 days i.e 16 doses) we already have gven 7 doses to our kid. Now. stopping it mid way - will it not cause adverse affect like relapse/ re-occurrence of the disease? ( that's what we hear of not completing an antibiotic dose ). Pardon for questioning that. Or is continuing the full course of Pecef100 not advisable at all & should be stopped immediately without fear of any consequences.

One more thing why in this case two separate antibiotics ( zanocin & pecef ) was necessary at the first place for a kid ( this thought keeps crossing my mind)

Best Regards,

Answered by Dr. Suresh Heijebu 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
stop pecef

Detailed Answer:
Hi sir,

There will not be any recurrence/relapse if you stop pecef after 7 doses ,as there is protection from another antibiotic.

Continuing the full course is not advisable since it can cause allergic hypersensiitivity rash again in susceptible kids.

Zanocin is alone enough in your kid.combination of antibiotics is not needed in this case.i hope your kid is improving now.

thank you

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju