What causes red rashes across chest, arms and legs?

Posted on Mon, 15 Jun 2015 in General Health
Question: I woke up yesterday with a red-spotted rash across my chest, arms and legs. I had been fairly achey all week and had had some chills indicative of a slight fever, but otherwise felt fine. This morning I woke up and the rash progressed to the point that most of my body is red with a few white spots left. The redness goes away when pressed. I do not have much of an appetite. My urine is very dark and I am pretty thirsty.

Initially I thought it was an allergic reaction so had taken a Benadryl, but it didn't make the rash get better. I have taken advil which got rid of the chills, but still same rash.

The only other time my body has had a similar reaction is when I was taking the antibiotic sulfamethoxazole and I found out I was allergic to sulfa. I have not been on any medications or contacted sulfa to my knowledge
Answered by Dr. Nishad BN 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hemorrhagic fevers should be ruled out.

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thank you for asking HCM.

I have gone through your query. Hemorrhagic fevers can be possible in your case. In case of hemorrhagic fever like dengue this can occur.

Blood routine and platelet count should be done. Decrease in platelet is main problem in such case. You should take enough fluids and take rest.

Consult a physician to have a proper physical examination also. Avoid ibuprofen or other NSAIDs as this can worsen the condition. You can take paracetamol for fever and body ache.

Hope this may help you. Let me know if anything not clear.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Nishad BN