Owl Image

What causes red rash with associated itching around the anus?

Question
I have been diagnosed with diverticulosis.I am experiencing bouts of diarreaoh but am also experiencing a lot of itching around my anus and a red rash inside my buttocks. Could that be due to the diverticulosis. I am using dermol 500 craem and occasionally betnovate to calm it down but with little success
Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Likely to be fungal infection

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to Healthcare-Magic
Greetings of the day
Dear Sir

Red rash with associated itching suggest the likely possibility of fungal intertigonitis. Exact diagnosis will depend on clinical examination.
I would suggest you to get back to me with clinical photograph for further assessment. Also let me know following additional information
1. Is there any mucoid like discharge?
2. Is there any obvious swelling in the area?

Awaiting your response

Best regards
Dr T Shobha Deepak
MBBS, MD

Follow-up: What causes red rash with associated itching around the anus? 45 hours later
I have no discharge as such. The main signs are redness and a slight swollen line that runs towards my crotch. I have read that this is a tube of some sort. The condition feels like eczema but tends to be worse when I am experiencing prolonged diarreaoh bouts through my diverticulosis. My Gp has prescribed fibragel for the diarreaoh.

I have bought some over the counter antifungal cream which contains 1% clotrimazole to try on the basis of your suggestion. I experience this condition quite frequently though so am not sure if it is a fungal problem.

I have taken a photo but cannot see how to upload it into this response box to send it to you. Could you advise or provide an email address to send it to.

Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Mail to YYYY@YYYY

Detailed Answer:
Dear Ms

You can either upload the image in the upload report
Or
Email the picture to
YYYY@YYYY

Subject line should be "Attention Dr T Shobha Deepak"

Awaiting your response

Best regards
Dr T Shobha Deepak

Follow-up: What causes red rash with associated itching around the anus? 47 minutes later
I hae uploaded the JPEG and awiat your response

Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Intertrigonitis with fungal infection

Detailed Answer:

The lesion is Intertrigonitis because of superseeded fungal infection. Please foow below advise :
1. Keep the area always clean and dry
2. Use cotton panties preferably boxers. Thorough washing is advised to remove residual detergent. Warm iron undergarments before using it.
3. Clean the area with mild soap and XXXXXXX warm water. Dry the area with clean cotton cloth and dust cotrimazole powder around the area.
4. Use cotrimazole plus Betnovate combination ointment to the affected area.

This shall provide you immediate relief and relief from redness and swelling.

Do let me know for any additional information anytime.

Best regards
Dr T Shobha Deepak