question-icon

What causes red rash and swelling on the legs?

Posted on Fri, 11 Sep 2015
Question: WHAT IS CAUSE OF RED RASH AND MILD SWELLING OF LEGS - HAD VASCULAR TESTS AND VEINS ARE CLEAR. I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO CHECK NEXT. THANKS FOR ANY HELP YOU CAN GIVE.
Answered by Dr. Charu Bansal (5 hours later)
Brief Answer:
vasculitis is likely possibility

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Welcome to Healthcaremagic.com.
I have read your query.
I understand your concern.
The most common reason for red rash with mild swelling in legs is a condition of skin called Vasculitis. It is inflammation of the vesseks leading to apparent rash and transudation of fluid leading to swelling.
In such cases, vascular studies like Doppler comes out to be normal.
I would like to know following details -
1 ) For how long are you having the rash and swelling?
2) any associated symptoms like itch, pain etc?
3) Is it persistent or goes of with or without medications?
4) any precipitating event like recent infection, medication taken, or associated illness?
5) any other symptoms like respiratory difficulty, pain abdomen, headache etc?

Kindly upload the images so that I can actually visualize the rash and advise you accordingly.
Thanks
Dr. Charu Bansal

Dermatologist