What causes red purplish knuckle?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
The knuckle on my right red finger is red to purplish it isnt swollen and it doesnt hurt. Should I be concerned? Also on that same side..I have a pinkish slightly raised rash on my right wrist and arm that looks like eczema
Posted Thu, 21 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Due to inflammation

Detailed Answer:
The red knuckles are likely to be due to an inflammation if there is no history of injury to the area. Doing a hot fomentation and taking an anti inflammatory like ibuprofen after three meals will help in decreasing the redness. You can also give rest to the finger and apply a local analgesic gel on the area for relief.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal