question-icon

What causes red painful spots on feet?

Posted on Sat, 14 May 2016
Question: I have numerous red spots on both feet, suspected from fleas. The spots have been there, on topside of both feet and toes, for 2 months. Some days are rarely noticeable, other days very red, painful and very very itchy. How long will these last and what can I do to control the pain/itching? I've used lotion, taken Benedryl but nothing relieves long term. Thanks!
Answered by Dr. Saad Sultan (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
send me the photograph

Detailed Answer:
Welcome at HCM...
I am DR XXXXXXX XXXXXXX and will be answering your query.
I have gone through your query and being your physician I totally understands your health concerns.
Kindly send me the photograph of it so that i can give you better clinical advice.
As far pain and itching is concerned , you can use acetaminophen for pain and cetrizine 10mg to relieve itching. Avoid soap use over the infected skin. quickly dry your feet after washing.
Dr XXXXXXX XXXXXXX

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar
Follow up: Dr. Saad Sultan (1 hour later)
2 photos have been attached for your review. Can you purchase the cetrizine over the counter? How long should it take to clear up?
Answered by Dr. Saad Sultan (21 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Cetrizine is not an over the counter medicine

Detailed Answer:
Welcome at HCM....
I appreciate your follow up....
After reviewing the photograph , in my opinion it is better to visit your dermatologist for proper clinical assessment. Flea bites should not be there for more than two months. There is need to get your full blood count particularly the platelets. Low platelets can present like this along with bleeding.
Cetrizine is not an over the counter medicine and you need a physician prescription for it.
Do visit the dermatologist once.
Hope it helps
Feel free to ask
Saad Sultan

Dr. Saad Sultan