• question-icon

What causes red nodules on the lower leg while having arthritis and stress?

Posted on Mon, 31 Jul 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have a recent diagnosis of EN lower right leg etiology unknown at this time. I have read a medical article from UpToDate on the topic. I noted that in 40-50 % of the cases no underlying cause is determined. I also noticed the potential serious causes and we are doing blood work and chest X-ray after the holiday. Do you have any information that might support stress or arthritis as a possible cause? I have plenty of stress and some arthritis in hands, hip and the right ankle (above which the swelling and other EN symptoms presented).
The condition was preceded by accuse pain without trauma Wednesday & Thursday mimicking a shin splint, X-ray showed no fracture. I am 62 and male. I'm not aware of having strep throat or other conditions normally associated with EN
Answered by Dr. Gopal Goel 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Self limiting disease ,no direct relation to arthritis/Stress as cause.

Detailed Answer:
Hi , I am Dr Gopal Goel ,Orthopedic Surgeon.
In Erythema nodosum , red nodules are commonly seen in shin, and sometimes in other parts of lower limbs , is usually a self limiting disease and resolves by itself within 3-6 weeks . Fresh rashes may appear but again resolve over a period of time.
There is no direct co relation with arthritis /stress as causative factor ,though arthritis pains might occur with it and last longer than the red nodules. It is generally preceded by acute pain. Since it is a self healing disease , nothing need to be done actively, only supportive treatment depending on the symptoms , is required.
Thanx for the question. Pl feel free to ask any other question.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Gopal Goel

Orthopaedic Surgeon