What causes red itchy facial swelling in an elderly person?

Dr. Ivo Ditah

Posted on Wed, 5 Apr 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: My friend, 71 years old called to ask about symptoms. I am a retired nurse, I asked her to consult a physician asap. She has a swollen, red , itchy face, some swelling of lips says "not much" says swelling is coming around jawline. No eyelid swelling. No known allergy. Started after eating clam chowder she thinks but has eaten clams before. I would like your advice to be able to encourage her to see a physician.
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It's an allergy. Benadryl i sokay!

Detailed Answer:

The presentation is typical of an allergy. Benadryl is a good choice and there is no need to see a doctor unless it doesn't respond to benadryl which would be very strange.

I wish your friend well. In future, let her avoid this clam chowder.

Kind regards