What causes red, itchy areas around nose?

Dermatologist
Question
hi what causes red, itchy areas around nose? can exercise and sweating cause that??
Posted Fri, 29 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
could be seborrhoeic dermatitis

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to healthcare magic.

I understand from your query that you are concerned about lesions around your nose.

From your description, I would consider the possibility of a condition called as " Seborrhoeic dermatitis". It is nothing but dandruff which occurs on the skin. You could use a mild steroid like Desonide 0.1% twice a day for 10 days followed by an antifungal like 2% Ketoconazole cream for 3 weeks.

Sweating could make the itching worse but is not directly the cause.

You have an option of uploading a picture. You could use it if you want me to have a look at the lesion for better assessment.

Hope this helps you.

Dr. Johny Chacko

Follow-up: What causes red, itchy areas around nose? 6 minutes later
I have been using betamethasone and cloritromazole ever since May. I use it every time the symptoms come back. is this going to be forever or possibly get worse??? I work out every day and I sweat a lot on my face. if I don't use the topical it will come back again after a week.

Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Seborrhoeic dermatitis

Detailed Answer:

Welcome back.

Seborrhoeic dermatitis is a chronic condition and it can recur. It is due to an overgrowth of a yeast fungus which is present normally on everyone' s skin. But in some people, due to factors like genetics and under hormonal influence, it overgrows.

It will gradually subside on its own.

You could use the cream with the combination mentioned in your query. And use it for 3-5 days as and when it recurs.

You could also use 2% Ketoconaxole cream instead of the cream you are currently using as a maintenance to prevent recurrence. Ketoconazole also has anti- inflammatory properties and hence is better than clotrimazole.

Hope this helps you.

Dr. Johny Chacko

Follow-up: What causes red, itchy areas around nose? 3 minutes later
do I need prescription for 2% ketoconazole?

Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Can be got OTC

Detailed Answer:

As per my knowledge, I think you can get it over the counter and also in some online drug stores.

Dr. Johny Chacko