• question-icon

What causes red hot flashes and stinging pain in skin after chemotherapy?

Posted on Thu, 26 May 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have had chemo and radiation therapy for breast cancer in the last year. I have developed hot flashes that include red and stinging skin 3 or more times a week for about 2 months. The stinging skin is general on most of my body. Any ideas on what this could be?
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Either long-term side effect of chemo; or hormone related

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help. The hot flashes can at your age be attributed to a hormonal fluctuation caused by peri- or pre-menopause. But taking into consideration the fact that you underwent chemotherapy and radiotherapy, which can easily cause symptoms of red and stinging skin along with hot flashes we need to first go through the medications that were administered to better understand what kind of side effects we can expect.

But I would also recommend a check on your hormone levels, and if an abnormality is found, correction will either help suppress the symptoms or help us to rule out one of the possible causes on our list.

I hope you find my response helpful. Please do not hesitate to write back to me for any further clarifications, I am always here to help.

Best wishes.
Dr. Shoaib Khan