What causes red eyes in a child?
Viral conjunctivits doesn't warrant antibiotic
Hi...thanks for consulting on Health care magic.
I am glad that the diagnosis is viral conjunctivitis and if this is correct then it doesn't warrant any antibiotics (Ciplox - Ciprofloxacin) either locally or systemically.
But I suggest that you upload the image of eyes of your kid so that I can see and diagnose and guide you better. Skin and eye conditions are best diagnosed only after seeing directly.
Fever is also common and 100F is not something to be worried about.
Meanwhile what you can do is to clean with fresh clean water at room temperature so that the irritability will be less for the kid. Usually rather than fever, what is more important is the activity of the child, in between 2 fever episodes on the same day. If the kid is active when there is no fever, it is probably viral illness and it doesn't require antibiotics at all. Once viral fever comes it will there for 3-4 days. So do not worry about duration if the kid is active.
Hope my answer was helpful for you. I am happy to help any time. Further clarifications and consultations on Health care magic are welcome. Wish your kid good health.
Dr. Sumanth MBBS., DCH., DNB (Paed).,
thanks doctor for the above advise...
my son is better currently...still some minor infection is persisting. hope it would get cure soon.
further,i also wanted to check with you that son have minor cold. he sneezes 2-3 times daily. sometimes feel there is nose blockage as well..any medicine recommended for that? also he have flautelance. any medicine for same?
I am happy that his conjunctivitis is better now. As you feel..definitely it will get better.
It seems now he has got some common cold.
I suggest the following for this -
1. Nasivion-S nasal drops for nasal congestion.
2. None of the cold medicines or antihistamines are indicated for babies of this age. So don't use. the common cold is usually viral and will settle by itself.
Flatulence is common for babies of this age again. This happens when the baby sucks at the breast very fast and in eagerness to drink milk will gulp in air too. Unless the air comes out like burping or flatus this discomfort will be there and next time check if she is sucking too fast and gulping in air too. You will be more convinced. Usually I don't advice any medicines for this as they give only temporary relief.
I wish your kid a speedy recovery. If you need any future medical consultation and suggestions, I will be glad to help. You can approach me at the following link. Please find the link below.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes red eye and headaches
- What causes severe redness in eyes
- What causes red eyes symptoms
- What causes sudden redness in the eye
- What is the cause of a red and swollen eye
- What causes a red blothcy eye
- What is the cause of red patch in eye
- What can cause blue sclera of eye in child
- What causes bloodshot red eyes
- What would cause a red ring around my childs eye
- What causes recurrent cold,cough and high fever in a child?
- What should be Neozeet dosage for cold and cough in a child?
- What causes swelling and redness on eyelid after taking Desonide?
- What causes an indentation on upper back?
- Suggest treatment for diarrhea in an infant
- Does black molds in house during pregnancy cause any complication?
- Suggest treatment for fungal infection of in groin area
- What causes swollen cluster of veins on lower back?
- What causes diarrhea with vomiting?
- What causes low appetite after stomach infection?