What causes red ears and ear pain?

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Mon, 16 Feb 2015 in Child Health
Question: My kid is 4yr old. she got outer ear redness and pain on both her ear. Dic prescribed Azitral, Dexona and ibugesic. Is it safe to use dexona for kids?
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is safe in kids if given right correct dose

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

Dexona is a steroid and if administered in right dose and tapered off gradually over a period of time, it can be safely used in children in order to reduce any inflammation. Please note that high dose or abrupt stoppage of the medicine can give rise to adverse effects but a proper dose and the dose is reduced gradually before stopping, should make it safe to be used.

Hope that helps.

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 8 minutes later
thank you for response. Can yo suggest the dosage.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Dose depends upon body weight

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back.

Dexona contains Dexamethasone which is given at 1 to 6 mg/kg IV usually as a single dose. The dose can be given like 3 mg/kg for 2 days followed by 2 mg/kg for another 2 days, followed by 1 mg/kg for another 2 days and then omitted. Your doctor knows about this.

Hope that helps
Dr. Diptanshu Das