What causes red dry patch on breast?

Dr. Rovena Murati

Posted on Fri, 13 Mar 2015 in General Health
Question: Hello, I first noticed this about 4 months ago. Don't know if it's back or never went away. I have a red/pink dry patch on my left breast. I also have scratch/pinch marks from baby breastfeeding on both. The left is more pink the right is only red where the scratch marks are. Could this be ibc? I don't have pain, warmth, nipple change, itching or enlargement
Answered by Dr. Rovena Murati 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
detailed below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome to Healthcare Magic.

I read carefully your query and I have gone through the pictures you send.

I would really appreciate if you could send another picture of your left breast ( a front and closer view) so I can give you a better judgement.

Considering the pictures and the medical history ,it is unlikely to be ibc.
Inflammatory breast cancer is a very aggressive type of breast cancer that grows very fast.Breast changes are noticed within weeks.
A part of breast skin can look red or pink,the nipple might get inverted or retracted ,nipple discharge ,the breast increases in size and feels heavy.

You told that you have noticed this red dry skin on left breast about 4 months ago and it hasn't changes , this makes IBC unlikely.

The red dry patch might be due to contact irritation ,eczema or a fungal infection.

It would be recommendable to consult your general doctor for examination just to put your mind at rest and for diagnosis.

Kind regards,
Dr.Rovena Murati

Follow up: Dr. Rovena Murati 6 minutes later
I sent the additional photo let me know what you think., thanks
Answered by Dr. Rovena Murati 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
detailed below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again.

Thank you for the picture.It is very clear.

It seems to be a common rash ,probably due to contact irritation.It doesn't seem to be related to a serious condition such as ibc.
Since this rash has been there for 4 months and your breast looks normal ,you don't have to think about ibc.

You may try to change your bra and use cotton undergarments.
Another possible cause might be dry skin .If your skin is dry in that area you can try to keep the area moisturized and see if this helps.If the area under your breast is wet from frequent sweating ,try to keep the area dry.

If the rash doesn't seem to improve you may need to try an mild steroid cream like hydrocortizone for few days.Since you are breast feeding ,apply only a thin layer or cream and make sure to clean well the area before to feed your baby.
If it is due to contact allergy or eczema ,it will respond to hydrocortizone and will improve in few days (2-3 days).
If not ,it might be a fungal infection and an antifungal cream is necessary.
I would suggest to consult your physician for proper management.

Please let me know if you have any question or doubt to clarify.I will be happy to assist you further.

Kind regards,
Dr.Rovena
Follow up: Dr. Rovena Murati 17 hours later
Thank you I will follow your advise!
Answered by Dr. Rovena Murati 1 minute later
Brief Answer:
you are welcome.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

You are totally welcome dear.

I wish you all the best.

Take care,
Dr.Rovena