What causes red bumps under armpits?

Posted on Fri, 19 Jun 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have a type of infection under my arm. Its a long linear abrasion. Along with some red goose bumps. The linear infection smell horrible- like a infection. I applied witch XXXXXXX to it for several days and it got better every day. Only to return a day or two after I stopped applying the witch XXXXXXX I had this last summer as well. Seems to be related to the hot weather. But it is downright scary how much odor is coming off of this infection. I also had the same thing last summer.
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Likely Hidradenitis Suppurativa, Need ruling out of differentials

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

I read your question and i understand your concern. Bumps under armpit, worsened in summer , foul smelling and likely painful as well are the features of Hidradenitis suppurativa also called acne inversa and is commonest cause of such armpit infections . It is due to clogged sebaceous pores which produce sweat glands.

You may need a round of antibiotics, corticosteroids and painkillers and a detailed evaluation to rule out indication for surgical incision and drainage of the lumps.

Apply warm compresses, keep the area clean, wear loose fitting clothes and lose weight to prevent the recurrence of worsening of current symptoms.

Supplementation with zinc in oral intake can reduce the recurrence and outbreaks of this condition.

You need a doctor to get it examined and have a look at and also to rule out the differentials like intertrigo and impetigo etc.

I hope it helps. Take good care of yourself and don't forget to close the discussion please.

Khan
Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan