What causes red brownish lesions on nose and upper lip?

Posted on Mon, 8 Jun 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi. I have two red-brown spots which appeared on my face suddenly (on my nose and above my lip), out of nowhere (over the course of 1-2 days). They are quite large and irregular in shape. They are dry, not raised, not itchy, without any puss or secretion, not sore, with skin peeling just a little bit for 1-2days. It's been 8 days and they are not going away or changing. At the same time another two smaller, brown spots showed up on my arm. They are smaller than the two on my face, irregular in shape, pale brown in color, and again without any itchiness, soreness, dry, flat, and without any peeling. They all showed up while I was on vacation in Mexico for 3 days. I was always in shade and I had SPF on at all times. I did not get burned or had any insect bites. My natural skin color is yellowish, not very pale & never suntanned, I would say XXX skin type 3. Please advise. Can any type of skin cancer develop suddenly like this? Or could this be some autoimmune disease?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Upload more Images

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us

I have taken note of your query and I have gone through the details. I have also reviewed the Image.

I can see somewhat scaly appearing, reddish lesion on nose. The other lesion on upper lip seems darker in color, non scaly..

Certainly, this is not cancer.

After going through the history, distribution of lesions and after having a look at the Image I would like to keep DLE (Discoid Lupus Erythematosus) as one of my possibility, however this is a tentative diagnosis and therefore I would like to have a look at a few more clear Images so as to be absolutely sure.

Another possibilities are either PMLE i.e a light induced eruption and a rare possibility of fungal infection.

I request you upload a few more clear Images of the skin lesion on upper lip, nose. I want to better appreciate the morphology.

I also request you to upload good resolution/ clear Images of other 2 similar lesions on your arm as well? Are they on outer side/ sun exposed side of arm?

Upload as many images as you can, to assist me in diagnosing it accurately.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 3 hours later
Thank you for quick reply. Attached are additional pictures of face, and two smaller brown spots on hand and arm.
Is there anything else this could be but lupus? That is pretty scary.
Thank you again.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
DLE is a likely possibility

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Thank you. I have reviewed the Images.
The skin lesions on your face are definitely scaly, red and well defined plaques. I will keep DLE as a likely possibility.
I suggest you to visit a dermatologist for a clinical examination for other possibly hidden lesions on scalp and ear concha.
I would recommend a broad spectrum sunscreen, spf 50 Or more, to be used, throughout the day. A potent topical steroid e.g clobetasol propionate 0.05% can be used specifically for the patches.
Lab testing should include test for ANA (Antinuclear antibody).

The skin lesions on your arm and hand seem different to me, probably a freckle Or an age spot.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist