What causes red blisters at the corner of the mouth?

Posted on Thu, 15 Dec 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi...what I thought yesterday was a pimple, today is clusters of small blisters that are red and have spread. This is at the corner of my mouth on my face. Could it be impetigo? (I work with children...). Would like to start with home treatments. Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Rudina Balliu 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes it could be impetigo , need topical antibiotic prescribed.

Detailed Answer:
Hi Dear user ! I have gone through your questions and I understand your concern .

Yes, it could be impetigo according to your face conditions (cluster of small red blisters that spread all over the face ).

Wash your face with water (not hot water) very gently , after that wash you hands with antibacterial soap.

- Cut your nails and wash the hands every time you touch the face .

- Don't press the blisters , if they burst, the infection will spread more, don't scratch the face .
- Limit contact with other people to prevent the infection from spreading for the time being.

You need a topical antibiotic like Mupirocin, Retapamulin or Fusidic acid topical to apply in your skin these are under prescription . But if the infection spread other part of the body you may need oral antibiotic. So ask an appointment with your local doctor to confirm the diagnosis , start the treatment and prevent the spreading.

Hope I have answered your questions.
If you have any further questions i will be happy to help.
Take Care
Dr Rudina

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Rudina Balliu 1 hour later
Hi...thanks for your reply. I happen to have some Erythromycin topical gel (2%) on hand...could that work in place of the other topical you mentioned?
Answered by Dr. Rudina Balliu 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The bacteria have shown to be resistant to this drug.

Detailed Answer:
Hi again !

You can use it (1-2 times a day ) but I can not say for sure it will work , because of bacterial resistance for Erythromycin.

That's why I recommend The other ones to make sure that they will work and for proper treatment .
You can take them only with prescription , you local doctor will discuss with you about the dosage and how to use .

Hope I was helpful.
Wish you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Answered by
Dr. Rudina Balliu

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2015

Answered : 420 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,  
Drug/Medication ,   ,   ,   ,  

Recent questions on  Red blisters

doctor1 MD

I am having itching and red blisters on my penis forehead. There is also skin tightening. A doctor suggested me that it is balanitis and prescribed...

doctor1 MD

Hi Doctor, I am age 36 male. I got dengue fever on 12-10-2017 and got admitted to hospital on 14-10-2017. I got discharged on 18-10-2017. Bcoz my...

doctor1 MD

Hi Doctor, My skin is kind of itches sometimes. not exactly itching , some times i feel that something is moving around. This happens sometimes not...

doctor1 MD

my 6 yrBS old daughter was amitted into hospital yesterday with swollen feet and hands and then became covered in a rash the rash was red blister...

doctor1 MD

I had a bottom molar extracted 6 days ago, and developed dry socket, I have just finished my antibiotics but still feel throbbing when I walk, my...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

150 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction