What causes red blisters at the corner of the mouth?

Posted on Thu, 15 Dec 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi...what I thought yesterday was a pimple, today is clusters of small blisters that are red and have spread. This is at the corner of my mouth on my face. Could it be impetigo? (I work with children...). Would like to start with home treatments. Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Rudina Balliu 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes it could be impetigo , need topical antibiotic prescribed.

Detailed Answer:
Hi Dear user ! I have gone through your questions and I understand your concern .

Yes, it could be impetigo according to your face conditions (cluster of small red blisters that spread all over the face ).

Wash your face with water (not hot water) very gently , after that wash you hands with antibacterial soap.

- Cut your nails and wash the hands every time you touch the face .

- Don't press the blisters , if they burst, the infection will spread more, don't scratch the face .
- Limit contact with other people to prevent the infection from spreading for the time being.

You need a topical antibiotic like Mupirocin, Retapamulin or Fusidic acid topical to apply in your skin these are under prescription . But if the infection spread other part of the body you may need oral antibiotic. So ask an appointment with your local doctor to confirm the diagnosis , start the treatment and prevent the spreading.

Hope I have answered your questions.
If you have any further questions i will be happy to help.
Take Care
Dr Rudina

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Rudina Balliu 1 hour later
Hi...thanks for your reply. I happen to have some Erythromycin topical gel (2%) on hand...could that work in place of the other topical you mentioned?
Answered by Dr. Rudina Balliu 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The bacteria have shown to be resistant to this drug.

Detailed Answer:
Hi again !

You can use it (1-2 times a day ) but I can not say for sure it will work , because of bacterial resistance for Erythromycin.

That's why I recommend The other ones to make sure that they will work and for proper treatment .
You can take them only with prescription , you local doctor will discuss with you about the dosage and how to use .

Hope I was helpful.
Wish you good health.

Dr. Rudina Balliu