What causes red and tiny worms in the stool and urine?

Posted on Thu, 16 Mar 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi Doctor,

For last few days I am noticing a tiny red string like worm coming out with my stool and urine. Sometimes a red tiny stick like thing is also coming out with stool. Seems when the worm is dead it becomes a string. The thread like worm floats in the water and moving. Please suggest. Is it something serious.
I am a female and aged 37
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Worn infestation

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

It is apparent that you have worm infestation. You need to take one dose of Tab Albendazole 400 mg and repeat the dose after a fortnight. The worm will be expelled on its own.

Let me know if there's any further queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 7 hours later
Thanks Doctor for answering the question.

Could you please let me know when to take the medicine. Or if there is any side effect?

Sometimes my urine is not clear and comes out in small quantities. Is this related to the worms.

Thanks for your answer.

I forgot to mention my past medical history in this context.
I had cysticercosis when I was young. Now also I take levesome 500mg. Is it ok if I take albendazole.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Needs further evaluation.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back.

The medicine (albendazole) is to be taken once at night and the dose is to be repeated again after a fortnight. (A total of only two tablets taken in the process.)

Could you please check what medicine you are talking about? Please check the name. It is possibly a anti-worm medication. In such a case albendazole might not need to be taken. Rather, you would need to get a thorough checkup from your doctor as the present condition could have direct or indirect relation to the problem you report in this query.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha