• question-icon

What causes recurring yeast infection?

Posted on Tue, 14 Feb 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Right now i am taking Farxiga..works very well for me..losing 20 lbs & maintaining weight..however i do obtain periodic yeast infection.
Finding out that this drug has jumped in cost...i refuse to continue using this.
Invokana is less expensive, & effective ( i know others use this with continued results.)
Cost wise & with effective results...I want to switch meds. Any reason why I couldn't ?
The yeast infection is the only side effect from the current med.
Answered by Dr. Vaddadi Suresh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
all work the same

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Welcome to HCM.
Farxiga (Dapagliflozen) belongs to SGLT2 inhibitor group of diabetic drugs. Other drugs in this group are Canagliflozen and Empagliflozen. These are wonderful drugs, as weight loss is a gifted action that most other diabetic drugs do not have. It is highly recommendable for obese diabetics. However, like you are experiencing, recurrent vaginal infections is one of the concerns. You may get over it after some time, once your diabetes is under control, when your kidneys have to excrete lesser sugars. Genital hygiene can also reduce the frequency of infections.
As far as cost is concerned, yes, they are expensive. I have many patients on this drug who are unwilling to stop it even though it is expensive, which explains the performance of the drug.
Generic equivalents are, to my knowledge not available in USA for Farxiga. So if you have a less expensive drug in this group like Invokana (Canagliflozen), or Jardience (Empa), you can go ahead using one of them without hesitation. I have good experience with all the three drugs, and i can say that all work the same and are effective with some insignificant differences.
If you want to know anything el;se, please let me know.
All the best.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Vaddadi Suresh