• question-icon

What causes recurring throat pain despite taking antibiotics?

Posted on Tue, 24 May 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: hi. I have been having a throat pain since the past four weeks. my family doctor prescribed azithral twice for 3 days. it subsided but again it crops up. if I take combiflam then again it subsides for a day or two and then again it starts. the pain is only when I swallow. in the day it is less but its more in the evenings and night
Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
No adequate and proper treatment

Detailed Answer:
Hi Sir,
I have gone through your question and understand your concern. I would like to suggest you that, you may go for the at least 7 days course of above mentioned antibiotic i.e. azithral with antiseptic gargle after consulting with your doctor.

Combiflam will subside your pain due to its painkiller effect; but it is only temporary solution not the permanent.

If your condition shall not improve after 7 days then I would suggest you to get laryngoscopy examination and throat swab culture and antibiotic sensitivity after consulting with your doctor.

Dr Hariom Sharma MS, XXXXXXX

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Hariom Sharma

ENT Specialist