• question-icon

What causes recurring symptoms of parathyroid disease post recovery?

Posted on Thu, 2 Jun 2016 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: I was successfully treated for parathyroid disease last year. Part of my treatment was with Drisdol(D-2). I had a number of apparent benefits; loss of bone/joint pain, improved balance/flexibility and loss of a heel and hand skin cracking problem that had dogged me for years. After my endochrinolist released me. I went to over the counter Vit D-3, which is supposed to be better. Since then my problems have been returning. I suspect the D-3 is not as effective as the D-2, at least in my case. It appears that Drisdol is not available OTC and have had trouble finding D-2 at all. Last night I did find some at Allstar Health but at low dose, 2000 units. Is there a higher source avaliable? I'm currently up to 4000 of D-3 and my serum level is just barely above the minimum.
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Vitamin D

Detailed Answer:
I follow what you are saying.

First kindly ensure your calcium levels are normal ie your parathyroid condition is 100% cured.

Once that is clear, then aim for 25 hydroxy Vitamin D levels of 30 to 60 ng/ml.

If you require supplements to achieve and maintain this, speak with your endocrinologist on the best way to do this.

This requires finesse and expertise. It is not advisable to manage this on your own.

It does not matter whether you take D2 or D3.

The key is give larger doses first to boost your levels quickly then take daily maintenance doses.

This treatment program varies from person to person based on periodic blood testing to see the individual's vitamin D requirement in order to have stable levels in the blood.
Follow up: Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 4 hours later
My last two Ca's since surgery have been mid normal so I'm confident at this point that my remaining parathyroids are normal, but will continue to monitor it annually. My January serum D was low normal, 32, an increase of 4, not much considering my D-3 consumption 3000/day. In November I did a month D-3 surge 6000/day; same as the endochrinologist did with the D-2. At this point it is still premature if I'm going to regain the benefits that I got last year. When the D-2 arrives I plan to discontinue the D-3 as I have lost confidence in it, in spite of all the good reviews it gets. It was interesting that birds and people react well to D-3 but not the test rats. Perhaps I have a rat in my family tree?
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow up

Detailed Answer:
Noted.

Individual requirements for vitamin D can be highly variable from none to 6000 IU or more per day depending on the degree of deficiency.

Follow up: Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 11 hours later
Thank you Dr. Topiwala for your input!
XXXXXXX Hradel

PS One of our neighbors takes 10,000/day and it brought her serum level up from 4 to 23, still short of the minimum!
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Second follow up

Detailed Answer:
You are welcome
Dr. Shehzad Topiwala

Endocrinologist