What causes recurring sore throat infection, dry cough and ear infection?

Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan

Posted on Wed, 11 May 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Greetings,

I have had an issue where my throat (somewhat below the vocal cords) has been hurting, having to clear my throat very often and I've developed somewhat of a loss of singing ability. I saw an ENT who looked at my cords via a stroboscope, and said that my cords looked fine. He suggested either a nasal steroid (Flonase) and if that didn't resolve it use an Antacid like Nexium. Then one day I woke up with a lot of raspiness and general malaise, so I went to an urgent clinic where the doctor diagnosed me with an ear infection. He prescribed Clarythromycin and Prednisone, which I stopped taking the prednisone after a couple of days since I am a Type II Diabetic and Prednisone can raise blood glucose levels. I sang after being given clarythromycin and prednisone, however I waited until there wasn't any raspiness in my voice. A week after seeing the doctor I experienced a sore throat and a dry cough for a couple days which then turned back into raspiness in my voice once again. Did I just give myself Laryngytis by choosing to sing only two days after being diagnosed with the ear infection?
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Supportive care only

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

I read your question and i understand your concern. Repeated sore throat infection with dry cough and ear infection is likely triggered by gastric reflux for which your doctor plans to start you on nexium. Short doses of steroids dont bother glucose levels. Resting your voice and delaying singing should have been ideal but no worries, avoid any further singing for a few days till full recovery. Continue the medications, do salt water gargles frequently with one glass of warm water and one table spoon full of salt in it. Also drink warm comforting beverages and avoid stimulants like soda, beverages, alcohol , smoking etc.

Also modify diet and lifestyle to treat the underlying cause which is probably gastric reflux. Eat small frequent meals, delay lying down after meals, keep the head side of the bed elevated and prefer fibrous diet and avoid stimulant foods.

I hope it helps. take good care of yourself and dont forget to close the discussion please.

Khan