What causes recurring laryngitis and roughness on tongue?

Posted on Wed, 17 Jun 2015 in Asthma and Allergy
Question: Hi,
Last Thursday, I started with a sore, red throat and had some white patches on my uvula. I had painful swallowing, and my throat felt like there was something stuck in it. (Probably just swollen). On the second day, I went to the Urgent Care, mostly to see if I had strep. At that time, I was very tired, and still with very red painful throat and painful swallowing but no fever. I did not have runny nose, cough, or congestion. Maybe the occasional sneeze.
No watery eyes. I usually do not get seasonal allergies, but I did suffer from them many years ago, before I had a septoplasty and tonsillectomy, which really helped.
At any rate, the Nurse Practitioner dx me acute pharyngitis, and Rx Prednisone 20 mg po x 3 days, Z pack, and tea with honey, rest, and fluids. There was no fluid in my ears. The rapid strep test was negative.

I felt a lot better 2 days later, after a lot of sleeping, and not going to the gym. Just resting , meds, and fluids. However, after day 4 on the Z pack, I developed terrible laryngitis, and the worst thing is my tongue feels funny. Hard to describe. Like it is rough and maybe was rubbed with sandpaper. I cannot taste my food very well, and this is very bothersome. My throat is no longer sore, and I actually feel better, other than the fact that my tongue feels weird, I have laryngitis, and I can't taste anything. I just took the last antibiotic pill last night, and I know it keeps working for another 5 days, so maybe this will get better. ?

What is causing my tongue to feel strange, loss of taste, and laryngitis? I am ready to be done with all of this. No fever, sneezing, coughing or congestion of any kind. My throat feels fine. I did have some mild diarrhea today, but that is the only other symptom I have.

Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Viral infection.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. These are signs of a viral infection. Viral laryngitis, viral diarrhea, and glossitis (inflammation of the tongue).

2. Antibiotics are not effective in viral infections except to prevent secondary bacterial infection. Use of steroids in acute infections may flare up the infection. (I usually start steroids later, for example, if the laryngitis does not improve). This may explain the tongue symptoms. Viral laryngitis and diarrhea is very common as the virus spreads throughout the body.

3. After a tonsillectomy, the rest of the lymphoid tissue scattered throughout the throat (and which is much larger than the palatine tonsils) reacts to the infection. The posterior part of the tongue is a large tonsil (ingual tonsil).

4. These infections are usually self limiting. Get the throat examined and start an anti-allergic medication, multi-vitamins, anti-reflux medication and medicated gargles. If this persists, get a routine blood test, throat swab, blood culture, USG Abdomen and rule out Infectious Mononucleosis and similar viral infections. Routine blood tests such as the blood counts help detect the severity and type of infection.

5. Upload a close-up image of the throat and these test results.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any more questions I will be available to answer them.

Regards.
Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist