What causes recurring itchiness on different parts of the body?
Welcome to HCM..
You complained of itching off and on different parts of the body. I feel that it may be from long time. Before I conclude, I would like to have answers of few questions. And if possible, kindly post the photos of affected parts.
- duration of the itchiness?
- sites affected?
- do you get burning?
- any skin lesions?
- is your skin dry?
- past history of any skin disease?
- past history of any internal disease?
- history of diseases like DM,thyroid diseases,renal diseases,heart diseases or other?
- history of medicine?
- habit of smoking,tobacco or beverages?
- family history of any disease?
- do you have dandruff?
- any nail changes?
- condition of skin of palms and soles..dry,thick,fissured?
Please answer above queries and post photos of affected parts.
Dr. Ilyas Patel MD
Sites affected - right side of back (is it the scapula - the bone that sticks out at the middle of the top of the back)
Each side of my belly button to the sides not always both together and sometimes the back
The top of my left foot and the inside of my left tibia.
No burning and no skin lesions. My skin is dry but no history of skin disease of internal disease.
I do have a 2 patches of tiny spots just below my clavicle which don't itch but I can hardly see them - about 2 inches x 2 inches.
I have an underactive thyroid and take 25 mcg of Levothyroxine one day and 50 mcg the alternate day. I also take 2 Accrete D3 tablets and a 2g strontium ranelate XXXXXXX for osteoporosis. I have osteoarthritis in my hands and have used a hand held massager for just over a year and that keeps me pain free. I also have low blood pressure.
I have not smoked for 30 years and then only smoked about 5 a day on 4 days a week between the ages of 32 and 42.
I only have 1 or 2 vodka and slimline tonics a week.
My mother has high blood pressure and dementia and is now 96. My father had asthma and took digoxin for a heart condition and warfarin.
I don't have dandruff but most of my nails are ridged from top to bottom.
The skin of my soles are quite dry but not thick or fissured and my palms are quite soft.
Sorry I don't have a camera so can't post photos.
Hope to hear from you soon.
Senile pruritus most probably
Welcome back to HCM..
Thanks for reply. After reading answers,I could conclude that most probably you may be having just senile pruritus. There is no major problem related with skin. So, just relax and take care to reduce the dryness of skin.
You have hypothyroidism,which also exacerbate itching. You continue levothyroxine.
But, have new reports of thyroid function tests.Accordingly your physicians may revise the dose of levothyroxine.
To relieve senile pruritus, I would suggest..
- antihistaminics like hydroxyzine HCL 25 mg at night and desloratidine 5 mg in the morning daily
- cap doxepine 10 mg twice a day
- rub moisturisure like liq paraffin cream or lotion after bath on whole body
- rub mometasone cream on affected parts thrice a day
- avoid soap bath
- Dettol liq may be used for bath ..few drops in bucket filled with water
- avoid stress,anxiety and worries
- avoid brinjal,fish,chicken,eggs,prawns,banana in diet
- avoid woolen cloths and blanket
You may discuss these options with a dermatologist nearby.
I hope this would help you.
Dr. Ilyas Patel MD
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes itchy lesions over the whole body
- What causes itchiness all over the body
- What#39s causing sudden burning sensation in different body parts
- What could be causing itchy hives on the body
- What causes recurring blood clots on body
- What causes recurring boils on body with cough
- What causes recurring whelps on body
- What is the cause of recurring bites on body
- Vyvanse causes itchy body
- What causes itchy rash on body