What causes recurring ear pain?

Dr. Neel Kudchadkar

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I am experiencing ear ache on & off but my doctor can't. find the cause. He said nothing wrong with my ear but I am in pain on & off X 4 days now and not relieved by Plain Tylenol and advil. I remember my pain was started after I shampoo my hair and water drained into my ear and I immediately cleaned with clean gauze and Q-tips and I dried it with hair dryer while drying my hair. I went to see a doctor and gave me a prescription for
Apo-Fluticasone nasal spray. Also did not help. I have a history of chronic ear infection for many years but even the ear specialist unable to resolve completely.Please help.
Answered by Dr. Neel Kudchadkar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Chronic otitis media: Aspirin treatment and Myringotomy.

Detailed Answer:
Hi!

I'm Dr. Neel Kudchadkar and I will help you now. I have examined your question quite carefully. I have given much thought to this and have decided to inform you that you probably suffer from chronic otitis media, an infection of the ear. This is obvious from the history you have provided.

At this point of time, I can suggest that instead of Advil and Tylenol, Aspirin has been found to be more effective in these cases involving the ear. I would suggest that aspirin be taken with a capsule of omeprazole to avoid acidity, a side effect seen in many people who have to take aspirin.

It is noteworthy, that you may have to undergo a procedure called as myringotomy. This is performed by an ENT surgeon, and once the tissue causing the infection is treated, the problem of chronic otitis media resolves for most people.

You might have to take a call and undergo this procedure. In the meantime, you can substantially decrease your discomfort with aspirin.

Thanks,
Dr. Neel Kudchadkar
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar