What causes recurring cold and cough in a child?
from past 2 days she had severe cough , bad runny nose and fever around 99 Celsius .
I am giving her the following medicines which doctor perscribed last time :
Zyrcold 3 ml twice , taximo-forte 3 ml twice , timinic 5 ml twice daily syrup. but the cold and cough had worsen today . should i change her medicines, she dont like to eat anything . i am worried ?
Viral cough and cold
Hi...Thank you for consulting in Health Care magic.
I would like to get few issues to your notice -
1. Episodes of cough and cold occur more frequently after starting school or crèche.
2. Taxim-O Forte contains Cefixime which is an antibiotic which doesn't act for cough and cold.
I have few questions for you -
1. I would like to know what do you mean by very frequent?
2. Is there any breathlessness in the kid during these cough and cold episodes?
3. Is it always associated with fever?
4. What is her birth weight and current weight?
5. How is her general activity during these episodes?
Regarding cough and cold, this is my suggestion -
Cough and cold are viral 95% of the times in children. For cold you can use anti-allergics like cetirizine and for nose block, saline nasal decongestants will do. Paracetamol can be given in the dose of 15mg/kg/dose every 4-6th hourly, that too only if fever is more than 100F. I suggest not using combination medicines for fever, especially with Paracetamol.
For cold you can use Cetrizine at 0.25mg/kg/dose every 12 hourly for 3 days.
For nasal block, plain saline nasal drops will do, every 4-6th hourly to relive nasal congestion.
Regarding your questions -
1. Kids eat less during illness
2. If she is otherwise active do not worry about appetite which she will regain soon.
3. If you can get back with her current weight, I would be glad to suggest you some formulations and duration of treatment.
Hope my answer was helpful for you. I am happy to help any time. Further clarifications and consultations on Health care magic are welcome. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish your kid good health.
Dr. Sumanth MBBS., DCH., DNB (Paed).,
hool. she was ill for around a week then everything was normal for a week. again we started her school .. she got cold and cough again .
birth weight was 3.2 kg and current weight is 11.4 kgs
activity is normal .. she is active. but can't sleep due to runny nose with green muscos and cough.
what medicines should I give her to stop runny nose and to avoid coughing at night.
Give her -
For fever -
Syrup P -125 (125mg/5ml) 6ml every 4-6th hourly orally (only if temperature is morethan 100F)
For cough and cold-
Syrup Phenergan 3.5ml orally thrice a day for 3 days
For stuffy nose-
Nasivion-S saline nasal drops 1 drop in each nostril 4-6th hourly (if there is nose block)
If you need any future medical consultation and suggestions, I will be glad to help. You can approach me at the following link. Please find the link below.
Hi...thanks for your trust in me.
1. Yes, stop all other medicines.
2. You cannot prevent 100%, but yearly once influenza vaccine will definitely be of help. Kindly get it administered to your daughter by your local pediatrician.
Happy to help any time. I am open for further queries, if you have any.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Cold cough sensitive nose on telekast what is the cause
- What causes severe cold and cough every month
- What causes recurring cold and cough with throat pain
- What causes prolonged cold and wet cough
- What causes persistent cough and cold
- What causes frequent cold and cough
- What causes cold and cough
- What causes recurrent cough and cold
- What is the cause of recurring cold
- Rice causes cold and cough