What causes recurring chest pain?

Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil

Posted on Tue, 12 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: hi good Afternoon I went to the ER yesterday because I had chest pains these chest pains have been occurring recently and usually go away after a lot of burping I never had this problem in my entire life til recent. had 2 sets of EKG tests done and also had blood work taken twice (they said to check my enzymes) I also took a stress test as well. the tortold me my heart was great and the test all came back negative. The doc gave me a script for omerprazole. I woke up today feeling good but as the day went on I started feelings the pains in my chest again it forces me to burp so much but besides the burping it really gets me in panic mode cause I never had this feeling until recent the doc said those EKGs and the blood work would have shown if I had any blockage or build up...is this really reflux? or can do I need further testing on my heart to see if there is a problem.sometimes I feel the pain on the left side of my chest sometimes I can feel like a cramp in my neck closer to the chin and sometimes I can feel it by my shoulders like sometimes it feels "pins and needles like" but I do find myself burping to relief the pain
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
THE NATURE OF YOUR CHEST PAIN IS NOT CARDIAC.

Detailed Answer:
HELLO AND WELCOME TO HEALTH CARE MAGIC.

SIR, I READ YOUR HISTORY CAREFULLY. THE NATURE OF YOUR CHEST PAIN IS HIGHLY SUGGESTIVE OF A GASTROINTESTINAL DISORDER. THE DIFFERENTIAL FOR THIS INCLUDES

DYSPEPSIA
GASTRO ESOPHAGEAL REFUX DISEASE ( GERD)
HIATAL HERNIA
GALL BLADDER DISEASE

THE FACT THAT YOUR ECG AND ETT WERE CLEAR SHOWS THAT THERE IS A LOW CHANCE OF IT BEING A CARDIOVASCULAR EVENT.
I WOULD ADVISE YOU TO GO THROUGH A TEN DAY RIGOROUS TREATMENT FOR GERD AND DYSPEPSIA AS IT DOESNT GET BETTER WITH JUST ONE DOSE WHICH WOULD INCLUDE

OMEPRAZOLE
SUCRALFATE
METOCLOPRAMIDE OR ITOPRIDE
BISMUTH SUBSALICYLATE
IN ADDITION PLEASE REFRAIN FROM SPICY FOOD AND TRY TO HAVE A HIGH FIBER DIET EG ADD ISPAGHULA HUSK WHICH HAS ADDITIONAL BENEFITS TOO.

MOST PROBABLY YOUR SYMPTOMS WILL SUBSIDE , IF THEY STILL PERSIST YOU SHOULD FIX A VISIT WITH A CONSULTANT GASTROENTEROLOGIST TO ASSESS THE NEED FOR UPPER G.I ENDOSCOPY TO RULE OUT ANY OTHER CAUSE. AN ULTRASOUND ABDOMEN SHOULD ALSO BE DONE BEFORE THE ENDOSCOPY.

SIR, YOU MENTIONED ABOUT DIAGNOSIS OF BLOCKED ARTERIES. THAT IS ACCURATELY DIAGNOSED VIA ANGIOGRAPHY ONLY. THOUGH , A CARDIAC CAUSE IN YOUR CASE IS HIGHLY UNLIKELY, IT IS THE MOST SERIOUS CAUSE AND SHOULD ALWAYS BE RULED OUT FIRST AND FOREMOST. IT WAS DONE SO IN YOUR CASE AND THANKFULLY THERE WAS NOT ANY ABNORMALITY.

HOPE I WAS OF HELP. IF YOU HAVE ANY ADDITIONAL QUERY PLEASE LET ME KNOW.
THANKS.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 47 hours later
Thank you for your time...a follow up question is it still considered GERD if you have pins and needle feelings sometimes through the arms and even the chest?
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
An EKG to start with to be safe

Detailed Answer:
hello and welcome,

if you have such radiating numbness and needle like feeling , even then it cant pin point or rule out a diagnosis. one would, to be on the safe side start with an EKG but most likely cause according to your complete history would still remain GERD.

let me know if you have any query.
if not , kindly close the conversation and rate my answer.

have a nice day
thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T