question-icon

What causes recurring chest pain, severe headache and shortness of breath?

Posted on Fri, 6 May 2016
Question: Hello Doctor, I am 41, Single, no kids. I am getting pain in my chest , both right and left side and in particular spots. it used to come occasionally, and when I eat I feel better. But this pain use to come now and then on the same positions.since yesterday I am getting the pain on my check and also on my ribs and below ribs. And I am getting severe headache and shortness of breath. I am really worried, it is something related to Lung cancer? Please help
Answered by Dr. Meriton Siqeca (53 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
With highest probability, no

Detailed Answer:
Greetings and welcome to HCM. I understand your concern. Thank you for your question

Well, without going too deep into "bad" diagnoses, such as lung cancer or coronary heart disease, let us take this step by step. You are a 41-year individual, of female sex, and these diagnoses apply to older ages.

This, with highest probability, is an acute or chronic inflammation of the locomotory system of the ribcage (bones, cartilages, muscles).

Why does this happen? A body of reasons, starting from the position assumed in the bed during sleep, to positions. and postures assumed while working or conducting everyday activities. Without going any further, I would recommend you to be put on a five to seven days course of over-the-counter non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), thrice a day.

Otherwise, if this is a very worrisome phenomenon to you, conduct a plain chest X-ray, to determine/exclude the lung cancer.

I hope my answer is helpful. Feel free to ask follow-up questions, as I am happy to help.

My best regards,
Dr. Meriton
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Meriton Siqeca

Cardiologist