• question-icon

What causes recurring bruises on ankle?

Posted on Wed, 29 Apr 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Three weeks ago, I injured my shin. I could walk on it. My ankle was swollen and black and blue from the blood pooling there.

I iced it for a week or so. I also tried to wrap it the second week after the injury. The swelling and bruising pretty much went away at the end of the second week. But now my ankle is swollen and bruised again.

The site of the injury on the shin, has a spot that looks more like a blood clot in a vein. I don't know if it's just a harmless hematoma or not.

I take coumadin daily as I form blood clots in my arteries. I've had to have both of my femoral arteries opened to have blood clots removed, as well as my jugular. The clot in the jugular gave me a stroke.

I stopped the coumadin for three days after the shin injury because of the amount of bruising and swelling.

I'm really not sure what to do
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
explained below

Detailed Answer:
Hello
I have read your query.
As bruising has reappeared you may need to investigate further.
I will advise you x ray ankle ,colour doppler and Blood investigation like PT and INR.
endoscopic vascular surgery will help you to remove your blood clot.
Till time take rest and continue ice fomentation. supportive splint will help you.
Many of my patients get relief with yoga and pranayama, and XXXXXXX XXXXXXX so you can also start that.
I hope I have answered your questions. If you have further questions please feel free to contact us. I will be happy to answer. Take care.
Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi

Orthopaedic Surgeon