What causes recurring and persistent neck pain?

Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Wed, 21 Sep 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: I have been waking with an ache of my posterior neck and lower skull reoccurring throughout the day for the last 2 to 3 weeks. I get relief from Excedrin or Advil. But this is new for me.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is due to cervical spondylitis

Detailed Answer:
Hello, I have studied your case and I think you are having cervical spondylitis. In this condition there is neck pain. It is caused by keeping neck in same position. Some time there is no cause. I have following suggestions for you.
1.Avoid using very high pillow and keeping neck in same position for long time.
2. Using soft cervical collar when traveling.
3.Tablet Brufen 400 mg twice daily.
4.hot water fomentation and volitran gel local application.
I hope these steps will be helpful for you. Let me know if you have any other follow up questions. Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad