What causes recurring abrasions on the foreskin of the penis?

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Tue, 29 May 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have these re-occurring abrasions on the foreskin of my penis … I am not circumcised.

These are abrasions are localized in one area on my penis and are re-aggravated within the next day or two after sex
.
If I were to pull the foreskin towards the tip of my penis, the abrasion would literally be on the very end of the forward pulled skin. If left to heal – not have sex – it appears that it would, but my spouse and I are active 1 – 2 times a week.

What do you think might be causing these abrasions?

Is it possible/likely that my spouse’s public hair (untrimmed) could attribute to this?

Thanks for your feedback.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possibility of genital herpes

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you.
I am Dr kakkar (Dermatologist and Venereologist). I have noted your concern and I have viewed the images.
I can see a few sores/erosions in this image. It is not due to abrasions from public hair.
I would keep a possibility of genital herpes. I would like to test you for HSV type 1 & 2, IgG and IgM.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 28 minutes later
Thanks for the timely response. I will schedule testing as early as possible.

Note: I only started having this issue in the past 3 – 4 months.

My wife of some years has these recurring bouts, almost annually, of herpes of the eye. Any possible relationship?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Regarding recurrent genital erosive lesions

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Genital herpes is usually caused by a different type of HSV - type 2 HSV whereas herpes infection elsewhere is caused by type 1 HSV.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj