What causes recurring abrasions on the foreskin of the penis?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2014
Jan 2014
Excellent

Dermatologist
Question
I have these re-occurring abrasions on the foreskin of my penis … I am not circumcised.

These are abrasions are localized in one area on my penis and are re-aggravated within the next day or two after sex
.
If I were to pull the foreskin towards the tip of my penis, the abrasion would literally be on the very end of the forward pulled skin. If left to heal – not have sex – it appears that it would, but my spouse and I are active 1 – 2 times a week.

What do you think might be causing these abrasions?

Is it possible/likely that my spouse’s public hair (untrimmed) could attribute to this?

Thanks for your feedback.
Tue, 29 May 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possibility of genital herpes

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you.
I am Dr kakkar (Dermatologist and Venereologist). I have noted your concern and I have viewed the images.
I can see a few sores/erosions in this image. It is not due to abrasions from public hair.
I would keep a possibility of genital herpes. I would like to test you for HSV type 1 & 2, IgG and IgM.

Follow-up: What causes recurring abrasions on the foreskin of the penis? 28 minutes later
Thanks for the timely response. I will schedule testing as early as possible.

Note: I only started having this issue in the past 3 – 4 months.

My wife of some years has these recurring bouts, almost annually, of herpes of the eye. Any possible relationship?

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Regarding recurrent genital erosive lesions

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Genital herpes is usually caused by a different type of HSV - type 2 HSV whereas herpes infection elsewhere is caused by type 1 HSV.