Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
171 Doctors are Online

What causes recurrent yeast infections?

Mar 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 5956 Questions
I am 30 yrs old female, recently got married in dec-3013, going through persistent bacterial infection in my vagina since sept-2013, my blood sugar levels are normal & in my medical history i hv thyroid prblem where my tsh levels are doctor has been prescribing fluconazole on alternate days, candiforce, tab virover & candidB ointment. But its still persisting. There is a cheesy discharge with foul smell sometimes.i sometimes go thru a burning sensation & intercourse is extremely painful.please help.
Posted Wed, 26 Feb 2014 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 26 minutes later
Brief Answer: EXPLAINED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. Could you please tell me how long have you been taking the medication? At times, recurrent yeast infections signify diabetes, but , as you said that has been ruled out. Also hypothyroidism can contribute to infections, but I hope your TSH levels are normal. Recurrent or lingering yeast infection means that it has not been adequately treated so far. The main cause is disruption of the normal pH of the vagina. Is it possible that you have been using excessive cleansing agents for the vagina . Please avoid using perfumed or medicates soaps, gels, cleansers, douches, toilet paper, tampons, latex ( condoms ), tissue paper, creams or powders. All these can disrupt normal bacterial flora of the vagina. Also get your husband's blood sugars tested if you are having unprotected sex. Please take probiotics for 3 months at least - such as Bifilac sachets / capsules. Have regular daily consumption of curd, lassi, buttermilk, yoghurt. Exercise daily and maintain an ideal BMI. Just clean private parts with lukewarm water and XXXXXXX dry gently with a linen towel. Use local Clotrimazole dusting powder to keep the area dry and less moist. Use cotton undergarments and change the underpants frequently. Ensure prolonged and complete course of oral antifungals so as to ensure that the infection is not untreated. ALso have a urine examination done to rule out coexistent urinary tract infections. It is possible that you are having a mixed infection ( bacterial or trichomonal superimposed on the fungal ) - so a vaginal swab examination should be done to pinpoint the exact organism. All the best. Please feel free to discuss further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What causes recurrent yeast infections? 14 minutes later
Thanks a lot Doctor! --My TSH levels are high since 2009. I've been taking Thyronorm-100mcg since then. --This medication for fungal infection -I've been taking from last 4 months & I've been completing all the medicine courses properly as prescribed by doctor. We are not even having unsafe sex/rather no sexual intercourse at all from last 2months. My question- 1) Is there any kind of complication/threat associated with this problem?? 2) Any further test/examination suggested regards...
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 9 minutes later
Brief Answer: EXPLAINED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hello 1. Yes, untreated infections can lead to damage to the vagina and genital area. Ascending infections can go to the uterus ( endometritis ) and pelvic organs, resulting in adhesions and sterility and menstrual complications. 2. Complete internal examination - per vaginum and per speculum. Vaginal swab examination to diagnose the type of infection. Test for Bacterial Vaginosis and Trichomoniasis. Urine routine microscopy and Urine culture Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What causes recurrent yeast infections? 4 hours later
Thank you doctor! Also let me know if need to take some precautions in terms of my diet. Also where can i get all these tests done? Regards
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 2 hours later
Brief Answer: EXPLAINED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hi You can get the evaluation done at any reputeI OB - GYN doctor in your city. If you let me know where you live, I will try to provide a few suggestions. Regarding diet, please take a lot of curd, yoghurt, antioxidants in the form of amla, guava, lemons, oranges, kiwifruit, strawberries. Have lots of green leafy vegetables. Do not overcook or overfry your food. Have simple homemade meals in time. Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor