What causes recurrent urine retention post myomectomy?

Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein

General Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 28 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: I had a a myomectomy surgery 3 days ago, in which they removed three large fibroids. Before they remove my fibroids I was experiencing urine retention. now it seems as if some of the symptoms are coming back I feel the same feeling in the bottom of my uterus I just want to know could this be something that I doing wrong by walking excessively or maybe I knocked it back out of place but I still feel the swelling in my vagina is this something fell or that could be due to the surgery is well. Before the myomectomy my uterus was at the opening of the vagina and it still feels like it is
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
hi

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome. First you should wait for 2 weeks to see final results of surgery.
Fibroids removal is in most cases not related to uterus prolaps and urine retention so you may not see improvement in this part. You should ask your surgeon for type of procedure that was done. if only myoma was removed without uterus prolapse repair then you should not expect improvement. Wish you good health. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 9 hours later
my uterus was twisted bcuz if the large fibroids and was causing me urine retention. where the incision is it just feel like something crawling around and I feel pressure. maybe it's just healing.......
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 17 hours later
Brief Answer:
hi

Detailed Answer:
Yes, final results require some time. However, fiborids may cause uterus prolaps but there may also be problem in ligaments or muscles of pelvic floor. for this, there is more specific surgical procedure
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar