What causes recurrent urinary tract infections?

Dr. Naveen Poola

Urologist

Posted on Fri, 24 Oct 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I have frequent recurrence of uti like symptoms often starting after sex or particularly masturbation. Initially it's soreness in my tube then sweating and dark urine. A course if Trimethaprim usually sorts it out but then it recurs after a couple of weeks. I keep myself clean, never have anal sex, but have had a vasectomy that was reversed 9 years ago. Investigations so far have found nothing obvious wrong with my prostate. Any suggestions regarding what might be the cause and also any advice on alleviating the painful soreness in my tube?
Answered by Dr. Naveen Poola 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
recurrent urinary tract infections

Detailed Answer:

Thank You for consulting HealthcareMagic!

First thing you need to get checked for is recurrent urinary tract infections, which is possible due to various causes like abnormalities in the urinary tract, previous urinary tract surgery, immunocompromised state, prostatic hypertrophy etc.

I suggest you to get urinalysis done first. If positive, then to identify the cause of recurrent UTI, you need a urological examination, ultrasound of pelvis/scrotum.
Further management plan can be decided based on these.

Stay healthy and thank you for consulting! You can contact me again anytime, if you need clarifications or further assistance in future. Kindly rate the answer if you are satisfied.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Naveen Poola 52 minutes later
Hi thank you. All that you suggest has been done.. including the scan and nothing has been discovered. Can you suggest any self help when the unpleasant symptoms occur? The burning / stinging?
Answered by Dr. Naveen Poola 17 hours later
Brief Answer:
drinking of more amount of water and avoiding acid

Detailed Answer:

Sorry for the delayed reply. Self help for these unpleasant symptoms like burning include- drinking of more amount of water and avoiding acidic kind of fluids(which may aggravate symptoms).

However, even if the investigations are normal, a confirmation of diagnosis is required for further management plan and hence follow up with your treating doctor is required.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari