What causes recurrent swelling on tongue and itching sensation in ear?

Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have had reoccuring swelling of the right side of my tongue.....the top and bottom. There is also an itch in the middle ear. Garlic has helped in the past but I want it gone ... never to return
Answered by Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Few investigations & expert advise is needed.

Detailed Answer:

HI XXXX,
Thanks for the query under health care magic platform.
I have read & understood your problem.
You have itching of ear along with swelling of tongue on right side. There are various possibilities for swelling of tongue. (Without pain, inflammation, burning, itching, coating). & considering its association with ear itch...being relieved with garlic (which is supposed to control common cold/ infections, pains & many more things) I think it can be...
- An allergic reaction causing an ear itch/ tongue swelling.
- Infection of middle ear which is carried to oral cavity via. Eustachian tube (seems to be less possible as such condition is commonly accompanied by ear ache, discharge, pain & inflammation of tongue too... which you don't mention)
* In this scenario I would advice for consulting an ENT specialist for his expert advice regarding basic cause. (Infection/ allergy)... You may be advised for your blood counts. IF he finds it to be infection... he will start with specific treatment. In case of allergy anti allergy medicines will be advised. & he may advise for consulting an allergy specialist
* After getting your allergy screen tests you will know about all the things you are allergic to. Now to prevent the repeat symptoms you have to-
- Avoid exposure to allergens (edible, smoke, dust, cosmetics)
- Get desensitization treatment as advised by allergy specialist,
- Be careful about ENT hygiene,
Thus with methodical approach & management to allergy / infection... you will be free of your tongue problem.
I hope you find the answer informative & useful. Any follow up query is welcome.
Thanks.

After getting your allergy screen tests you will know about all the things you are allergic to. now to prevent the repeat symptoms you have to-
- Avoid exposure to allergens ( edible, smoke, dust, cosmetics )
- Be careful about ENT hygiene,
Thus with methodical approach & management to allergy / infection.. you will be free of your tongue problem.
I hope, you find the answer informative & useful. Any follow up query is welcome.
Thanks.