What causes recurrent stroke in an elderly person?

Dr. Neeraj Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Thu, 15 Sep 2016 in Headache and Migraines
Question: Its about my grandfather. Recently he had 3 brain strokes in span of 15 days as per his latest MRI scan done on 25th august 2016. The impact is he have stopped recognizing us at maximum times and kind of senseless. Talks less and responds less to our talk. Also Not able to speak clearly. Doctor suggested that in future if he gets similar attack, he can have coma or paralysis. During stroke, his eyes rolls, tounge comes out and hands get stiffed and rolled. Can you please suggest what we can do to avoid this further brain strokes. What type of treatment can be done?
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Get investigated as advised

Detailed Answer:
I have gone through your question and understand your concerns.
Recurrent stroke in elderly person may be related to cardiac cause, atherosclerosis of vessels or arrhythmia.
You need to get MR angiography of the brain and neck vessels with aortogram, ECG and 2D ECHO.
The drugs used are for decreasing platelet aggregation either expiring or warfarin.
There is a possibility of seizure also and needs antiepileptic drugs too.
Treatment under neurologist is required.
You can upload reports and prescription for analysis.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Dr N Kumar
Neurologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng