What causes recurrent stomach pain?

Dr. Rishi

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 23 Dec 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Question: i am having extreme pain in stomach frm last two days... i tried antacid gel and pantprazole tablet but the pain starts again n again... plz tell me some immediate medicine which can relieve my pain.
Answered by Dr. Rishi 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please see a Doctor at the earliest for evaluation.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

If you have severe abdominal pain, it is not advisable to self treat yourself. Please seek an appointment with your GP or go to the ER where a Doctor can examine you and decide what you have and also whether an Ultrasound abdomen is required or not.

It could be ulcer pain or a multitude of other things which I cant diagnose without knowing the exact location and character of the pain and associated features like vomiting or bowel upset, etc.

So, I suggest you see a Doctor as soon as you can to know what it is and get the treatment started at the earliest.

Do let me know if I can help you with any other queries at this point. I would be happy to do that.

Dr Rishi.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari
Follow up: Dr. Rishi 9 minutes later
the pain z in stomach only not outside stomach...i have got acidity also which can be its cause... these medicines wer given by my doctor only... plz tell me if i can get some othr med which can relieve stomach pain
Answered by Dr. Rishi 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Increase Pantoprazole dose and get Endoscopy done

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

If the pain is in your stomach only along with acidity then your Doctor has given the correct medication. But if the pain is not decreasing then you would probably require an Upper GI Endoscopy to see whether it is Gastritis or an ulcer.

If the pain gets relieved but recurs then probably you will require an alteration of dosage. You can try Pantoprazole at a dose of 80mg twice a day at least half an hour before meals. You could add on Sucralfate oral solution which will give good relief of there is generalized gastritis or an ulcer. Please discuss regarding the alteration of doses with your treating doctor.

Either way it would be safer to get an Endoscopy done to see what is the problem.

Take care and let me know if I can help further.
Dr Rishi.