What causes recurrent stomach pain and vomiting in a child?

Dr. Klerida Shehu

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Thu, 28 Aug 2014 in Child Health
Question: Hello my eight yr. old daughter has been having recurrent stomach issues, pain in middle abdomen, sometimes she will vomit, and sometimes not, these symptoms ARE ONLY PRESENT AT NIGHT! never daytime, she has had bloodwk, ctscan, and urine tested all normal. THe dr. put her on 150mg of Zantac 2xs per day, she started saturday...but last night she had an episode... what can this be? can lactose intolerance only be night? I have a gastro. dr. appt. next week? she said it wakes her out of sleep.also how many days does zantac takes to work if it is going to?

Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Intestinal parasites/appendicitis to be ruled out.

Detailed Answer:

Zantac needs minimally 5 days to work. It is still early to judge on its effect as you have been using only 1 day after the episode.

I suggest to run fecal examination for ova/parasites because the intestinal parasitic infections symptoms are present mainly at night.

Gastritis or GERD should also be ruled out.

With regards to lactose intolerance, the symptoms are present all the day and night and she would also have bloating and diarrhea.

Appendicitis should be ruled out too as sometimes, the clinic is often silent and can occur for many years until severe damage of appendix occur. Get her checked by surgeon.

Wish fast recovery!
Dr.Klerida

Follow up: Dr. Klerida Shehu 10 minutes later
where would she get parasites? from? we live in nj? would they show up on ct scan? she does like fried foods, and typical child diet, pizza, chicken nuggets, etc?
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Ways of transmission for intestinal parasites

Detailed Answer:

Parasites can be taken if she is in contact with people or food infected with intestinal parasites. If you have been traveling overseas (in countries with high prevalence of intestinal parasites), most probably, she would have get there.

Next, the foods she likes are prepared from others (in fast-foods, restoraunts, etc.). Although good hygienic measures or strict control of cookers, sometimes, the cooker might be a chronic carries (the parasite is not causing disease), while he/she can transmit the parasite to the others (people who are eating the food prepared from him/her).

Do not get scared. Having intestinal parasites is not the end of the world. That can be perfectly treated through anti-parasitic drugs. Ct-scan does not show parasites (unless it is a large one, which is less likely to happen). Examine her stool for ova/parasites (I insist) and talk to her doctor to rule out appendicitis.

All the best!
Dr.Klerida