• question-icon

What causes recurrent sore throat after oral sex?

Posted on Thu, 2 Jun 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi -
I am 40 year old male. I have a history of IGA Kidney issues. But generally healthy - Question is: after performing oral sex on my wife, usually the next day I develop a sore throat which usually ends up full blown aching body, sinus problems ending with a trip to the Doctor and a prescription for antibiotics - This has occurred many times now over the last couple years so is it possible or likely that I am getting some sort of throat infection from the performing of oral sex on a woman? could it be related to the IGA Nephropathy ? would that make me more susceptible to infection? doesn't happen every time but almost every time?
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Allergy to secretions or transfer of bacteria from the genital area...

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for posting the query

I have gone through the query and understood your problem. I will try my best to help you with this.

After going through the description, I do understand that, the recurrent sore throat following oral sex could be due to either allergy for the vaginal secretions or contacting infection from the bacteria present in the vagina. This is one of the commonest problem faced by many following oral sex.

I doubt any link between IgA nephropathy and the present upper respiratory infection.

Reduced immunity in the body and allergy to the vaginal secretions can trigger the infection. Hence, it would be advisable to ensure that your partner's genital area is thoroughly cleaned with soap and water before the act. Also, ensure to wash your mouth with warm saline or povidone iodine mouth washes after the act so that it reduces the bacterial load and prevents infection.

Hope this answers your query. Revert back to me if you have any follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Follow up: Dr. Naveen Kumar 42 hours later
With my ex wife this was a frequent problem 4 out of 5 times I would end up sick and need antibiotics. The sore throat would start very quickly and frequently end up needing antibiotics. My 2nd wife and I have been together almost a year, I have not had any problems until recently after oral sex I got a sore throat the next morning and turned into a full blown illness requiring antibiotics. Exactly like prior times when I ended up sick after the oral sex. I talked to her about it and I wanted to put her at ease. I just wanted to clarify for her that it is not an issue with her but rather my own weak immune system?
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
Weak immune system could be the primary cause...

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Welcome back

Your weak immune system could be the prime cause of recurrent throat infection. Vaginal area being close to urethra and the anus, the chances of various bacteria getting harbored is common. Hence, it is always advisable for both of you to ensure that the genital area is thoroughly cleaned before the act. Also, rinse your mouth with warm saline or any antibacterial mouth gargles after the act. This will reduce the chances of acquiring throat infection.

Hope this clarifies your doubts; wish you good health.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar
Dr. Naveen Kumar

ENT Specialist