What causes recurrent productive cough despite taking medication for chest infection?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2018
Feb 2018

General Surgeon
Question
I had a sinus infection two weeks ago that migrated to a bronchial chest infection and was prescribed a Z-pak as the remedy. This deep chest cough/condition is back again. What do you precribe?

The Z-pak cleared the condition right away. Almost the first day of the 5 day regimen I started to feel so much better.
Wed, 23 May 2018 in General Health

Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Z-pack if there is any evidence of infection.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for your query, albeit short and specific.
Noted the history well and understood your concerns.
It is first necessary to see whether the chest cough is due to allergy along or have secondary infection.
As Z-pack is needed and can be repeated if there is an added infection.
Otherwise decongestant and anti-allergic treatment may be sufficient.
Also take plain water steam inhalation.
Avoid contact with allergens.
Consult your Doctor again to get a confirmation as to whether there is any infection and get an appropriate prescription as needed.

I hope this answers your query.
Please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.