• question-icon

What causes recurrent pimple on nose tip?

Posted on Tue, 31 May 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have a bump that looks like a pimple under the skin on the tip of my nose. It has been there off and on for a few years. I have a little runny nose seems irritated. Its getting bigger and feel a lot of pressure. for the past 2 weeks its been consistent. over night without treatment it disappears then morning comes and its back.
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Could be a micro abscess or seed from previous pimple

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help. It could be a micro abscess or a seed left from previous acne that requires removal or drainage. What you can do is to visit a doctor, who can make a small incision and remove whatever seems to be there under your skin.

This can be followed by an antiseptic wash, and the use of topical antibiotics temporarily. I am sure an easy solution can be found once a doctor is consulted.

I hope you find my response helpful, please feel free to write to me for any further clarifications, I am here to help.

Best wishes.
Follow up: Dr. Shoaib Khan 27 minutes later
will doxycilline work for the treatment?
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 16 hours later
Brief Answer:
It can be used, but is not the perfect medication for you

Detailed Answer:
Hello once again ma'am.

Yes doxycycline can be used to treat acne, but we use it for moderate to severe forms of acne, which you do not have. Usually one 50 mg tablet given twice daily should suffice, but it does carry a very common side effect of photosensitivity which is why we tread carefully before using the medication and also take numerous precautions when prescribing it.

Duration of use although has to be decided by a doctor who can monitor your progress. But ma'am, I would like to emphasise that this medication is used for moderate to severe forms of acne, and your is at most a mild form or lesser.

Best wishes.
Follow up: Dr. Shoaib Khan 3 hours later
Ok. Thank you. What would be my best form of treatment? I have a derm appt Monday.
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Sure can help you with that ma'am, pls discuss the regimen with your doctor

Detailed Answer:
Hello once again ma'am.

You can go ahead with the following regimen after consulting with your doctor:

+Topical clindamycin application over the region after cleaning and drying it, twice daily for at least 10-14 days
+Oral metronidazole tablets for a duration of 10 days at least
+Clean the region with an antiseptic
+Warm compress over the region several times a day
+Do not squeeze or pop it
+Avoid touching the region with your finger
+Avoid the use of cosmetics over the region completely
+Use of multivitamins help improve your skin

I hope you find my response helpful. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I am always here to help.

Best wishes.
Dr. Shoaib Khan